Coming over from Sarah at Life on Virginia Street? Welcome! She’s a cutie, eh? And don’t get me started on that house of hers. Oh, and that pool is easy on the eyes, eh? 🙂
Year 6?! Seriously? Can you believe a handful of creative women started this conference that long ago, and we’re still 1. going strong 2. having a great time and 3. haven’t killed one another yet?! Last year, we started a mentor program at Haven, and it was a huge success! We knew immediately that we wanted to do it again, so I’m here to introduce you to them….and let you learn a little about me while you’re here.
So who am I, you ask? Who’s the girl behind Just a Girl, exactly? Ok…enough with the dramatics. Here’s some answers for you.
1. How many years have you been blogging? 57 years. Not really–but it sure feels that way sometimes. I just celebrated my 9th year. Woot! My friends and I call ourselves the dinosaurs. I like to refer to us as the originals, but whatever. I just want to sound cool so it offsets how old I feel.
2. What is your favorite DIY project that you have completed? Not gonna lie. 9 years lends itself to quite a few projects. Some favorites…
My son’s room is one of my loves. The pallet wall was completely free, so that also gets a “favorite” vote from my husband. It was in my feature in Better Homes and Gardens, so it holds a special place, for sure.
My other favorite is my daughter’s room–again, because it was so inexpensive and yet makes a statement. I painted the tree mural myself (yikes!), and the Ikea curtains were super cheap. My daughter loves it, so I love it.
And lastly, I’d have to say my fire pit and patio. It’s still a work in progress, but considering where it started…
…to where it is now, I’m pretty happy with it. We did the whole patio, fire pit, and landscaping ourselves, and it has been a labor of love. This is the most updated picture I have since living in Michigan means we’ve been hibernating for months. I’ll have more updates once we can be sure that snow isn’t going to dump on us at any second. #pleaselittlebabyjesus
3. What is something useful you have learned from a blog conference? Well, Haven is the only conference I’ve actually “attended”. I may be partial, but the classes we offer are out of this world. I fill my phone with notes; I rack my brain with what to start on first; I panic at being behind on everything! Then I realize that everyone is learning just like me. So my “something useful”? Haven (and I’m sure other conferences) fosters friendships that you could never get through your computer. And friendships allow you to ask questions and clarify information. THAT is what I find to be the most useful.
4. What is something you love about blogging and what is something you wish you could change? Oh man. This could be a slippery slope. I’m a
dinosaur original, remember? Blogging has changed my life and brought me opportunities to work with and learn from people I never thought possible. Some of my closest friends were made through blogging! And Haven is my baby. Blogging/Haven has given me a sense of creative empowerment that can’t be matched. I’m thankful, thankful, thankful.
And what would I change? Ugh. Social media. It is my opinion that social media has “slanted” blogging. We can now take very particular pictures of small corners of our lives, and it leads to those ugly things called jealousy, comparison, and insecurity. In the world of Instagram or Facebook, everyone has the perfect life, ya know? That “perfect life” mentality doesn’t sit well with me…and I sure would change it if I could.
5. What is one piece of advice you would offer a blogger–new or otherwise–who is going to Haven? I’m going to copy and paste what I said one year ago because I believe in it that much. Leave extra room in your suitcase. When you see the amount of swag you leave with, you’ll thank me. Ok that was dumb. How ’bout another one? You’re going to be tired, but push through. Stay up a little late. Meet the girls in the lobby even though you want to go to bed. The conference flies by, and you’ll regret not taking some extra time to spend with your people after you get home.
My favorite part of the post has come! Time for me to introduce you to Courtney at French Country Cottage! Grab a cup of coffee before you go, because you’ll be staying at her blog for a while!