I did this project two years ago, and I recently had an e-mail asking where the post went. Yeah. Good question. Since changing over my domain, I seem to have lost dozens of posts. They’re out there somewhere, but I figured it might be a good idea to refresh it.
This advent idea was made out of mini matchboxes. I bought a pack of them at the grocery store, painted the insert part white, and wrapped the outside with scrapbook paper. The outside is labeled with the countdown day, and it’s complete.
I try to remain really conscious of not letting the “I want that!” mentality overwhelm the spirit of Christmas at JaG’s house, so I tried to come up with advent ideas that were mostly about spending time together. Plus, they’re pretty much free. Santa’s on a budget this time of year.
There is such an extensive list of things you could add to this list, but these are the ones we’ll be using this year. I added a couple of notes to some since we’ve been doing this a couple of years.
- Play a board game together
- Build a fort and have dinner in it (the kids’ favorite)
- Cut out paper snowflakes
- Pick out a toy for Toys for Tots
- Make popcorn and watch a Christmas movie
- Find a special treat
- Special treat: Hot cocoa and marshmallows
- Make a Christmas craft (check the internet—tons of ideas out there)
- Breakfast for dinner
- Find a special present and open it (always dollar store items)
- Make a card for someone and mail it
- Go to dollar store and shop for family (again—kids LOVE)
- Go out to a movie
- Decorate a gingerbread house
- Kids make dinner for Mom and Dad
- Go see Santa Claus
- Make a pinecone bird feeder
- Make a Christmas craft
- Find a special present and open it
- Go bowling
- Bake Christmas cookies
- Go downtown and look at lights
- Popcorn and movie night
So what about you? Do you have any ideas that you use with your family? I’m always curious for new ideas. Anything I’m missing?