What do you do with a package of small matchboxes, some scrapbook supplies, and time? Make a Christmas advent calendar! Duh.
I bought a pack of mini matchboxes at the grocery store, painted the insert part white, and wrapped the outside with scrapbook paper. The outside is labeled with the countdown day, and it’s complete.
I try to remain really conscious of not letting the “I want that!” mentality overwhelm the spirit of Christmas at JaG’s house, so I tried to come up with advent ideas that were mostly about spending time together. Plus, they’re pretty much free. Santa’s on a budget this time of year.
There is such an extensive list of things you could add to this list, but these are the ones we’ll be using this year. I added a couple of notes to some since we’ve been doing this a couple of years.
- Play a board game together
- Build a fort and have dinner in it (the kids’ favorite)
- Cut out paper snowflakes
- Pick out a toy for Toys for Tots
- Make popcorn and watch a Christmas movie
- Find a special treat
- Special treat: Hot cocoa and marshmallows
- Make a Christmas craft (check the internet—tons of ideas out there)
- Breakfast for dinner
- Find a special present and open it (always dollar store items)
- Make a card for someone and mail it
- Go to dollar store and shop for family (again—kids LOVE)
- Go out to a movie
- Decorate a gingerbread house
- Kids make dinner for Mom and Dad
- Go see Santa Claus
- Make a pinecone bird feeder
- Make a Christmas craft
- Find a special present and open it
- Go bowling
- Bake Christmas cookies
- Go downtown and look at lights
- Popcorn and movie night
So what about you? Do you have any ideas that you use with your family? I’m always curious for new ideas. Anything I’m missing?