This is going to have to be a couple of posts. I just have too many pictures. It started with me wanting to get rid of our armoire. It was bulky; we’d had it for 9 years; I was over it. That’s a good enough reason, right?
(I’ve probably taken 481 pictures of the armoire, and this is the only one I could find. Annoyed.)
So, we sold the three matching wood pieces on Craigslist, and the hunt began for something else. That something else started with a flat screen tv. That flat screen tv then lead to an electrician who mounted it and buried all the wires in the wall. It is times like these that I realize what my husband means when he says, “Nothing is simple when it comes to your ideas.” Oops.
I scoured Craigslist for months looking for “just the right piece”, and I found it! Ain’t she a beaut? For $50.00 I found an oil-covered, beat up workbench that a man was selling from his workspace. It was actually covered with metal sheeting, but I didn’t get a picture in time. The top planks were in bad shape (oil-soaked), but the rest of the piece was divine!
I removed all the planks and sanded that baby down. In my basement. Which I don’t recommend. It was really turning out beautifully, however. I suspected that the wood is mahogany, so I wanted the top planks to match the tone as much as possible. Unfortunately, that’s where I started to spend some money.
I spent about $8.00 on each piece, but it looks really cool with the base! Money well spent.
This time, the sanding took place outside. I didn’t go crazy with it because the point was for it to look rustic. Just enough to make it smooth and not wedge a sliver into my hand when working with it.
And then this is how it sat for a couple of weeks. Our entertainment center was now officially packaging material from our tv. Decorating at its finest.
When we finally got a spare minute, we cut the planks down to the length we wanted. And Maximus chose to lay in sawdust as opposed to anywhere else in the garage.
Then it was time to stain—one of my favorite parts. I used Minwax Special Walnut. Yumm! I didn’t let it set at all because I liked the tone straight out of the can—something to note.
Since I really didn’t want my floor to house the cable box, etc., I had to figure out how to create a surface for the bottom half. Hmmmm what to do. I’ll be back on Wednesday to let you know what I came up with. Lu-huve it!
**The finished table can be found HERE.
Don’t forget!! You can still enter to win a $100 Lowes giftcard! I’ll announce the winner tomorrow!