If you’ll remember, I redid my son’s tween bedroom last year. I loved it, and Better Homes and Gardens was all, “We love it too!” However, my dirty little secret is that I never quite finished it. His dresser was left in its golden-honey state, and we just pretended it wasn’t there. I knew exactly what I wanted to do to it, but I never wanted to actually do it. Make sense? So here’s a little before for ya.
And the ga-gorgeous after!
I partnered up with 3MDIY.comas one of their experts to show how I did this project. I’m a big proponent of “safety first”, so using their gear is something that comes natural to me. Fumes, dust particles, and noise can really take its toll if you’re not protected.
I think sanding is one of the messiest DIY jobs, so I went in fully prepared! Two things you might notice about this picture. 1. Apparently, my thumb is double-jointed. I did not know this, but it was quickly pointed out to me by my friend Cassie. 2. I’m smiling. Behind a mask.
Step 1: S-A-N-D for what feels like years. I used the following materials:
3M Tekk Protection Work Tunes Hearing Protectors
3M Tekk Protection Holmes Premium Safety Glasses
3M Tekk Protection Valved Respirator
3M Advanced Abrasives Sanding sheets starting out with 80 for stripping down to 220 for smoothing.
Step 2: Age the wood.
- Tea bags (any kind)
- Vinegar (I used regular, but you can use apple vinegar as well)
- 000 Steel wool pads
I did some research online and found a little science experiment turned finishing method. I boiled some tea (three cups, but it was over-kill). When it cooled, I just brushed it on the wood. It won’t do anything to the wood. Once it dries, you won’t even notice you did anything. The night before, I had torn up some of the wool pads and poured the vinegar in a bucket with them. The next day, the mixture looks disgusting, but it works. After applying the tea, I brushed on the vinegar/wool pad mixture. It will start to change the wood right in front of your eyes.
It will immediately start turning gray! The only problem with this is that it was just too gray. I wanted some brown tones to it to match the pallet wall I had done in my son’s room.
I used some Rustoleum American Walnut stain, and it was exactly the look I was going for. I didn’t let it soak on at all. I brushed it on and wiped it off immediately so the gray tones would seep through just a bit.
And now for the easy part! Whew! Never thought I’d love painting so much! Using some ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape, I taped off the drawer fronts.
I had some leftover paint from my son’s headboard, so I used it on the drawer fronts to match. It’s Benjamin Moore’s Black Beauty. I love it because it has a bit of a chalky look to it.
When the paint was applied, I used Miss Mustard Seed’s furniture wax. It’s my absolute favorite ’cause it gives it a gorgeous muted sheen, and it smells wonderful.
I found the knobs at Hobby Lobby, and they were the entire reason I stained the outside and painted the drawers instead of vice versa. It was much more pain-staking, but MUCH more worth it.