April 12th, 2008. My very first post. Happy Blogiversary to me, eh? It’s really only fitting that my dear friend Beth is having a “back to basics” Thrifty Under $50 blog hop this week. If you’re visiting from Refresh Restyle, welcome! Have a piece of birthday cake and join me!
If you’ve been blogging as long as we have, then you know that it all started with thrifting, repurposing, and refinishing. The general trend among blogging was how to save money and decorate for less. So a bunch of us are showing you examples of that this week!
The goal was to show a thrifty tutorial that totaled under $50, and I took the under on that one. Like, way under. I started out with a $27 desk I found, but then I found these botanical prints the other day. It was exactly the type of project I wanted to use as an example. 80% of thrifting is being able to see something beautiful underneath the unattractive. I don’t know what the other 20% is.
Each print was $3.99 (total of $7.98, and I used a calculator to make sure). I loved the prints, but the frames made them seem dated and worn.
Once I removed the prints, I glued small wood trim pieces to the top and bottom of each. I had my husband cut the pieces ’cause it was too cold for me to go outside. He’s good to me. I just eyeballed how long I wanted each one to be.
I hotglued some string to the back of each one and hung them on the wall with a gold thumb tack. Let’s say–for argument’s sake–that I spent money on the trim pieces (which I already had). Sooo total cost is probably $10. High fives all around.
Doesn’t everything just look cooler on a chalkboard wall? That wall is actually a sneak peek into a big ol’ project I’ve been working on. But let’s stay focused on the task at hand.
Now hop on over to Laura at Finding Home Farms. Her style is impeccable, and she has one of those homes that I could move right into without changing a thing! Throughout the week, you can see all the other thrifty transformations! Click around for tons of inspiration!